The most important room for any household is the kitchen. It continually manufactures our food every…
Gardening is nourishment for the soul and tip to nature as we add something that releases oxygen in the atmosphere, which is a sign of health. We have very basic gardening tips for beginners to start the gardening with, but first, we have to know the type of gardening we want to do. You must know what you want to plant in and take care of it every day. Although you can change mind latter by adding any other plant, the thing is to stay committed. You can read about growing a garden here.
Let’s begin with the tips.
Study the plant before planting it:
Some of us think that any plant can grow at any place as it just needs to be placed in the soil. I also had this view, but when I worked with my father to grow daily- use herbs in our mini garden, this cleared my thoughts that how important it is to know the nature of each plant.
We should always check the quantity of sun rays reaching the garden; it must not be too little or too much. Both conditions are proved to be harmful by researchers of gardening.
Check the Soil:
If you have any grandfather or grandmother, then you can easily get the soil tested as these people are experienced. It is because the love for gardening was prevalent in their era. But if you don’t have someone at the age of 70, then you can send the packed soil to your local nursery or the management of gardens, they will give expert results.
Instantly, you will know whether the soil of your garden is acidic or alkaline. This is important for plants because soil provides nutrients and minerals, so if you know what is needed to be added, your garden can have a healthy gardener.
If your soil is hard or has clay-like texture, then it will be challenging for many plants to grow.
Fast Growing and Easy to Handle:
It is my suggestion; I always recommend starting with those plants which do not need much attention. Why? Well, if you go for such plants at the start, that are attention seekers, you will be quickly exhausted, and there are chances that you will quit gardening.
Gardening is like a growing child; it always needs attention and regular care of minerals, just like a child who needs vitamins’ intake to grow healthier. Vegetables and Sunflowers do not take a long time to grow, so if any mishap happens or any irresponsibility takes place by you, there will be no worry. Because you have not given much time and you have learned a new thing in no time as well, this is two way beneficial. Right?
Beginners with Vegetable Gardening:
My mother loves fresh plants and herbs planted by her. It gives her a sense of accomplishment and that she has done something productive to nature, to family, and her body. We, as being a new generation with new techniques, do not like to spend time in things that are directly connected to nature. But believe me, there is nothing happier than eating something you have planted and took care of till it became huge to serve you.
The taste of veggies directly from small farm i-e garden is absolute heaven. Let’s tour the basics of vegetable gardening tips.
It is very important for vegetables that how much the quantity of sun and air is reaching them.
- Veggies need at least 6 hours in which direct sunlight reaches, and it is for every day. They will grow healthier and bigger as much of light is reaching.
- Soil for vegetables is like water or coffee for humans; it must be loamy so that the roots of the plant can penetrate easily. Provide nutrients regularly and look after the drainage of water, whether it gets collected on top or drains away quickly.
- Choose the best part in your house for gardening; you will not like it if the stormy wind blows off your tiny young veggie or if the land gets dry too quickly. So decide the patch of land, which is perfect in almost every sense.
Size of Plot for Planting:
As I have mentioned before, do not hurry while planting. Decide what you want to grow and then decide how much of it should be grown. Or you can start with less quantity in the first go; if everyone likes the particular vegetable you have grown, then you can plant more seeds or roots to have more of it.
It is recommended by experts to have a plot of 16*10 feet or smaller than this for planting. It will be easy to grow crops in this size as it is easy to manage a small piece of land. Divide the plot into 11 rows wide, and each row must be 10 feet long. Theses rows must be facing towards north and south to be fully advantaged by sunlight. You can have fewer rows; it depends on your will that how much you want to dedicate to planting.
Beans, Carrots, Cabbage, and Lettuce, Radishes, Spinach, and many more vegetables can yield more than one crop in one season.
Steps to grow healthy vegetables:
It is a technique and skill to grow best, healthy, and fresh-looking vegetables. If you think anyone can do so, then you are mistaken because gardening is not something that belongs to everyone.
- Grow crops at the proper spacing. For example, the requirement of space is too much for corn growth, and it also covers short vegetables due to its big leaves. So if plants are not too close to each other and no proper sunlight reaches vegetables, then it results in immature and diseased veggies.
- Seeds must be of good quality, the price of seeds is much less than young plants so you can buy seeds to plant, but if seeds do not germinate, then you are going to regret it.
- No compromise on watering, it is without any discussion when it comes to providing water. But make sure about using the correct quantity of water.
- Check if the season is right for a particular plant to grow before putting strength in. Ask the cooperative services about the accurate dates for planting about particular plants.
One of my favorite vegetables is tomato, what about you? Tomatoes are loved by almost everyone because of their color and taste. So let’s see;
The Gardening Tips of Tomatoes:
Tomatoes are easily available in town and are very easy to grow. You can have the best with a little bit of care. I am going to tell a few tips to handle tomatoes’ growth.
- Sunlight is as necessary as water for Tomatoes. They soak sunlight, yeah, just like water. They require sunlight of 7 hours per day. Their seeds aim to have enough room for growth, so you will need to place seeds at 48 inches distance.
- The soil must be enriched with nutrients and well-draining; the PH of soil is slightly acidic that ranges from 6.5 – 6.8. But if the soil is more acidic than the pH, add little quantity of dolomite in the soil. And if it is alkaline, you add sulfur in it to make pH equal with the requirement of tomato.
- Timing matters a lot in growing tomatoes, you should plant seeds only when the temperature becomes 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and it continues to stay like this. Protect this plant if the cold wind blows.
- Tomatoes are needed to plant deeply with their stems, and if an extra stem along with leaves is added in the first layer of soil, the growth of the plant becomes more profitable.
- We cannot think of eating tomatoes without onions and basil. The same goes for tomatoes; they feel happy when they have companions. It is a saying by experts that if all these vegetables are grown together, it repels the pests to enter.
- Tomatoes need water constantly, as it is necessary for having juicy tomatoes.
- Add nutrients in the water. For example, you can add tea water for better growth.
- The best red color is gained by warmth, not by sun heat. So when you see reddish-orange color, pluck the tomato and bring it inside to ripen. Put these unripened tomatoes in a packet that is not too tight; it will ripen the tomatoes.
Spring Gardening Tips:
Spring is a beautiful season among all seasons, as it is not so warm and no so cold. It is very pleasant for human beings but plants; it is termed as a hectic time of the year. Here, we have mentioned those gardening tips for beginners that will enough if you keep all of these in your daily practice during the spring season.
Get your tools ready before the season comes. Gather some items like mulching, trimmer, new beds, fertilizers, and some more nutrients to add in the soil. Planting annuals should also be ready. Once all these tools are ready, you can handle spring-related issues of vegetables.
Cleaning of beds must be done before the plants start to grow in the coming year. Tender annuals can be planted when all the frost has passed.
Get the Tools:
Order tools and plants so that when it’s time to start the work for spring, you won’t be sitting back and waiting for your tools to arrive.
Experts recommend to perform this task early in the year. Along with trimming, you must clear the garden beds so that it won’t affect the growth of a new plant. Trim and prune the damaged plants from last year. You should clean up the bushes of huge trees.
Enrich with Mulch:
This is a kind of task that you must do sooner to gain appreciation from plants. Mulching improves the soil for growth; add nutrients so that the soil becomes healthy enough to provide strength to plant. Mulching also keeps the weeds away from the garden. Weeds can affect the healthy growth of plants.
With this hard work in spring, you will get the healthiest results in summer. This will be your reward as you spent some time in taking care and letting the garden flourish with you.
Another important thing that matters in gardening tips for beginners is the study of water for plants. I would recommend studying the details of water for each plant separately because the needs of every plant are different from others. Newer plants need water more as compared to old ones, and the timing must be in the morning so that the plant gets time to soak itself in the water while if you water your plant in the evening, there are chances that it will get fungus.
Keep up with the tips with patience because gardening is a process, and processes take time to show results.